No room to complain if you failed to do your part

Tiffani and I are friendly with folks that volunteer with the Obama campaign in Eaton County, so when they recently called looking for some hours, I agreed to take a shift. The agenda was for me to go to houses already identified as Obama supporters, and I thought this would make a great opportunity for the kids to learn a little volunteerism, and a little of the critical importance of this election. Plus, the bonus would be that the kids would negate any potential hostilities with GOPers, but that notion was for naught.

We set off walking from home to the local Obama office in the gray, coolish weather for our 1:00 P.M. shift, where we were warmly greeted and well instructed and provisioned with pamphlets. Sophia and Seamus took along a little Halloween candy, which was a popular means for distracting them from trekking all over the east side of Grand Ledge. Since the kids were with me, the crazy incident in South Carolina with the gun wingnut from Halloween was a little bit on my mind, but I figured we were safe due to the daylight.

When we reached the furthest point of our designated rounds, and after receiving the only rebuff of the day, the kids and I turned to see some family disturbance in a yard in the distance. A preteen boy was busy pulling and replacing campaign signs in a yard already covered with at least a dozen, signs representing Tim Walberg and McCain, and the father was yelling at the child to quit embarrassing him. Of course, outbursts and language like that get one's attention, but knowing how far we were from home and the kids' diminishing spirits, we quickly got on our way. A block later, a sedan pulls alongside us, the dad a stereotype of the signs in his yard, outfitted with NASCAR cap, and he asks a little bluntly what we are doing, for whom we are working. When I reply "Senator Obama" the two boys in the car start booing the kids and me, and gesturing with their thumbs down. The dad proceeds to tell us about the "450 doors" he knocked on the previous two days for his candidates, and I congratulate him on his efforts, asking if he involved his kids as well. Involving his family served to placate him a bit, and off we all went. Surprising, though, that a parent would allow their children to behave so boorishly to a stranger.

After two hours and with several outlying streets still to finish, we moved to concentrating on the houses that were close to home, so that I could drop off the kids and get a cup of coffee. Nick wanted to go with me for the second leg, so we chose bikes as our mode due to the ground we had to cover. Nick was enthusiastic and helpful too, and I showed him some parts of town that he may not have known, and even some shortcuts. Importantly, Tiff and I believe, Nick was a little proud to contribute, and I was glad for that and his company.

Some erratic observations:
  • In my door knocking I saw several alumni I recognized from school, and all warmly greeted me and identified themselves as Obama supporters.
  • It was encouraging to see the smattering of houses that didn't fall lock step into preconceived biases. There were houses that supported both Mark Schauer and Obama, along with Rick Jones, and there were those that supported Michigan's Proposal 2, yet also had McCain signs.
  • The McCain and Walberg campaigns and the anti stem cell group are carpet bombing literature on neighborhoods, leaving gobs of flyers and pamphlets simply on porches to scatter in the wind. The kids and I found many GOP materials stuffed in doors, but an equal amount tossed on walks and porches, and several blown into yards and landscaping. I doubt that endears the homeowner to the candidates or the issues.
  • Girded with sunflower seeds, chocolate, Skittles, and Gatorade, Sophia and Seamus walked 3 miles in the cool weather and a smattering of rain. They didn't complain (much, at least not Sophie). The time spent with them was terrific: we worked on our ABCs and numbers, they assisted in identifying the correct house numbers, and we discussed what we were doing. The same goes for Nick, it was a treat having him with me. The kids have always come with us when we voted, so this was just the natural next step and we hope the lessons take root.

Comments

Kay & Bil said…
You make me proud to be related to you !
vaturner said…
So we can complain if we did our part? Naw, I won't be like the whiners and vocal minority of the last eight years. It was time for change and maybe my candidate didn't win but the election is complete and we need to get over it...

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

On to the story of Izzy