Elk Hunt

As most are aware, I got a coveted Michigan Elk tag this summer and went on the hunt in August. Beforehand, I was able to sight in my big 300 Magnum down at Jeff Foxworthy's ranch in Georgia. His property manager is a former SWAT sniper and overqualified to help. They all got a big kick out of my last shot which put a nice dimple in my nose!
It ended up being a bit smaller (younger) than I might have liked. I hadn't seen anything in 2 days of scouting and 2 days of hunting. It came out of the woods all by itself so I had nothing to compare it's size against. Turned out to be a 1 1/2 year old, perhaps half the size of a mature cow. On the other hand, it's dang tasty venison, Elk Veal as I've taken to calling it!

Vern, our guide for the evening. We ran into this guy a few miles back in the bush after his client had shot a bull that morning. Jimmy and he had hunted together previously and he agreed to take us out that evening. He was quite the card, dry sense of humor, but it was great to hang out with him for a while. He kept calling us "vultures" due to the fact that we came in to investigate after his client shot the bull.





Jimmy Gretzinger from Michigan Out-Of-Doors who filmed the hunt for their show. We used to work together and it will be aired sometime later in September.

Comments

Kay & Bil said…
Congratulations ! It seems strange to see hunting pictures without the heavy coats.

Will we see puppy pictures on the blog soon ?
vaturner said…
Nice Weatherby pimple on your nose! Hey, well done on the elk. I always say the next one will be a trophy, this one is for meat.

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

On to the story of Izzy