Dogs

As everyone knows, we had to put our beloved 13 year old Gretta down late in August. Ahni said that we'd know when the time was right and truer words were never spoken. It was a very difficult evening full of emotion and crying in our house. I kept hoping that my old friend Doug was there for her, his arms wide open, waiting to take her for a walk that night. It helped to sooth my aching brain. When you don't have kids your dog becomes more than simply a pet.

Gretta was my dog initially but gravitated to Jenny halfway through her life. Due to my heavy workload Jenny had a buddy she could spend lots of time with and they formed a wonderful bond over time. It never ceased to amaze me, these last few years, how that dog only cared about Jenny and I was just some other human in the house. While it's been difficult for both us it's been doubly traumatic for Jenny to lose her pal.

At the end of the day, she was still my hunting buddy though, always eager for a mouth full of feathers. I've never spent more time hunting with anyone else... it was Gretta and I against the birds of the world and I miss her.


Gretta 5/95 - 8/08
We still miss you girl!

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

The Rainbow Bridge
Author Unknown














So here's the new addition to the household, Tessa. I had gotten wind of a litter here in Michigan that came from some great bloodlines. Little did I know that the bloodline had colors heretofore unknown to me, chocolate! I was really hesitant at first since it didn't fit the mold of what I knew to be the standard. The color and shorter than normal coat grew on us afterword and we got the pick of the litter. It should be easier to pick burr's after hunting and the breeder stated she might be one of a hundred in the entire country with that beautiful chocolate color, pretty unique.





Comments

Tiffani Turner said…
Nice job Jack!!! I simply wanted to check the blog for new doings of the Turner clan, and I end up sniveling like a baby. Your tribute to Gretta was beautiful, and thank you for the adorable photos of Tessa!
Tiffani
vaturner said…
You had the whole crew misty, what a great tribute and what a cute puppy! Thanks for sharing.
Harry Turner said…
Hey Jack and Jenny,

Very sorry to hear about Gretta -- she was a great dog. I vividly remember her brushy snout: I had never known that breed before and it became one of my favorites. Just the other day I was out running and someone had a dog that looked like her and I thought I wonder if that is a Gretta-dog. So for me her name *is* the breed! Great photos.

Tessa looks very cute! How great to have a new puppy in the house.

Love to you all,

Harry

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

On to the story of Izzy