1934, 1944, 1964 (or...to Colorado with Mom / Hallie)

Summer has been busy and full of comings and goings for all the 'Ohio' Turners...
Here are some shots of a recent trip that Mom and I (Sarah) took to Colorado to check on her house there and attend to two bits of business: quarters that had been buried by her father (dates ranging from 1934 - 1964) and a WWII Army Jeep that he had left on the property (1944). And of course, we went for the view...

The house is still sweet and small and well maintained by her current renter. I haven't included the photos of the older and more neglected buildings (the time will come soon for attending to those)...

But, even the dilapidated ones have their charm...such as this detail of the garage:

And an old chicken coop stores this 'gem': a 1944 Ford Army Jeep. After seaching websites devoted to the collecting and rehabilitation of such vehicles, I posted an ad to sell it. It hasn't run since 1987 and has been just sitting, but I learned that they are still very sought after and so a quick bidding war ensued over the email. I finally wrapped it all up a week later and Mom now has a buyer for the Jeep (and someone who will come pick it up!). These are the some of the photos I sent out...and still, people wanted it!


So, once selling the Jeep was in the works, we turned our attentions to the silver quarters. Mom had stored them in the Ridgway bank, but was tired of paying to store money...On this trip, I not only learned about vintage military vehicles (and the people who love them), but also about the business of coin collections (numismatics!)

Mom was able to pull out most of the 1964's while we drove (a perfect stretch of hours for such an idle job)

Then we had to get to more detailed sorting once we stopped for the night in Castle Rock, Colorado. Now they are sorted by year (1934 - 1964), although we still have to check quantities and mints before we'll have a real sense of their value...so to be continued

And, in thinking of my audience for this posting, I included a buck that we met along a drive one evening above Ridgway...

Love to you all! Sarah

Comments

Chris Turner said…
In a perfect world, Sarah and Aunt Hallie, I would have gone for that Willys Jeep. I love those old rigs and have aims of restoring one, ever since we vacationed in Colorado ourselves in 1976 and rode some bumpy two-tracks with mom and dad's high school chum Bob Winford. Great travelogue, thanks for sharing.
vaturner said…
Sarah, great photos and you know I perked up when you mentioned my old stomping grounds, Castle Rock. Is the Rock still on top of the hill or has all the development knocked it off? Thanks for sharing. ~ Ahni
Sarah Turner said…
hey chris and ahni,
chris...you know, it occurred to me (too late) that perhaps someone in the extended family would be interested in the jeep...but believe me...it was a PROJECT! you may be better off without it.

ahni, yes, the 'castle' rock still stands...proudly. CR is very built up, but the older downtown area was still very charming and small...and of course, it is gorgeous all around!
vaturner said…
Sarah,
Great post. As a old military vehicle buff I can tell you that the Jeep is highly sought after. Ahni's grandfather, Don Walker, also had one that I occasionally got to use for plowing his driveway. I also can attest to driving many-o-jeep while a young Military Policeman at Fort Bragg. Great job doing the research to know there is a following and getting some money out of what some would consider a vehicle past its prime.
Jason
Chris Turner said…
Hey Sarah, Now that I think of it, I love the interactivity and clickability of this blog, and I thought I would add some links to your entry if you don't mind.

Love to you,
Chris

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

The Patriarch's 70th Birthday @ Arcadia