Visiting the 'Accra Turners'

I just got home late last night from a fantastic trip to see Jason, Ahni, Meg and Garrett. They were such incredible hosts - showing me so much, taking such good care of me and opening a wonderful new world to me. Thank you so much! Here is a sample of our days together...Bougainvillea in Accra (across the street from Meg and Garrett's school)
The drivers arriving at school to pick up students (but Meg and Garrett take a bus). Ahni and I picked them up early that day - Wednesdays are short days for them.
Jason took the family to see his 'other office' - a gorgeous plane kept on the Burma Camp grounds.Where Jason flies...
cute! It is amazing to me that a day at work for Jason sometimes means flying somewhere - even to a neighboring country - and then being home for dinner!


Ahni and I atop the Defender! The perfect perch for driving through Shia Hills to look for animals...We saw baboons (right at the entrance to the park)

We hiked to a high outcropping to get a great view!
We actually slipped into this tight little cave to see thousands of bats flying and hanging above our heads on the rocks.
We saw antelope (a buck here standing in front of a herd)
We saw Velvet / Green Face monkeys (jumping from the trees as we approached)
Meg and Garrett showing me how one rides on top of the Defender...
Driving on bad roads with crazy traffic in Accra (thanks, Jason!)
In the Kumasi market (check out the chickens!). Ahni and Meg and I squeezed through tight aisles to see so much...loved it!
the 'kitchen' section
'food section'
kitchen, spices and me praying I don't knock into someone's gorgeous display!

food section
Kumasi main street
My sweet and generous hosts! What a great family....(Garrett just can't help himself when he gets in front of a camera...)
At the pool at the end of a hot day...

Looking at central Elmina from Elmina Castle / Fort (soccer game!)
Jason and Meg approach me on the canopy walk at Kakum National Park...
Elmina Fort / Castle (which was owned / used by the British, Dutch and Portuguese for slave prison / transport primarily. Sober place. Jason at Elmina.
Another tour group visiting Elmina.

Back at Coconut Grove - gorgeous spot and my first weekend in Ghana...
Thank you Jason, Ahni, Meg and Garrett. I miss you guys!

Comments

Cynthia Turner said…
Wow - thank you so much for the photos. I hope we all have a chance to get together soon to hear about your trip in person. Maybe when B & K get back from Texas we could convene in Grand Ledge?
vaturner said…
Come back, you forgot your barrette! Meg and I retrieved it from the bottom of the pool this afternoon. We love the pictures especially the ones of the Kumasi Market. You were such a trooper letting us whisk you from place to place with such an adventurous attitude. Thank you for coming… Mada Ase Pa!
Your photos are great - makes us want to be there !

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

The Patriarch's 70th Birthday @ Arcadia