How I Spent My Summer Vacation







As I said earlier "To the Top!" Dad and I finished the last three pieces we had left Friday before we quit on Thursday night to go to Josh's football game.










We had several wasp nests to deal with and then had to figure out the angles for the roofs, both upper and lower. Josh and his friend Braidy helped me put the eaves trough back up. Looks better than the back, hey?






I thought it was better to beat the sun on the south side and then work on the front so we finished the front on Saturday afternoon after strippng the south side.











Before:


Karen's Dad came over Friday morning and took the electrical service off the side of the house so I could get behind it to take the old siding down and install the new siding (right corner).



After:

The sun doesn't hit this side of the house until around 11:30am. The biggest slowdown was the wasps, bees and the BATS! There were three bats under the siding on Friday morning and four on Saturday morning. I managed to kill three and have saved them for the health department to test. The lower left window needs to come back out to be installed correctly for he new siding and all the old cedar siding has to be renailed as it has been since 1870 or so since it was tight. You can see the progression of the additions by the diffetent sidings. The original house has the cedar lap siding on the right, the lower left addition was put on in 1941 before the previous owner bought it, and the upper left addition was put on in 2003/2004. There are is a lot of small stuff to do before siding can go on but I should have a good start on it before returning to work on Tuesday morning. By the way Ahni - I suffered my first injury late Saturday evening as I was putting some new nails in the old siding and instead hammered my index finger. It looks as if the fingernail will evetually fall off.

Comments

vaturner said…
I guess it is "Labor" Day weekend and you have done a lot of labor. Sorry, to hear about the finger, but remember... pain heals, chicks dig scars and siding lasts forever!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

In Memoriam: J. Morgan Sweeney, Ph.D

Sophia's Surgical Narrative