Red Dress Run

As some of you might know I joined the Hash House Harriers shortly after we arrived in Accra, I had heard about this "drinking club with a running problem" years ago but never took the opportunity to seek one out. When we arrived in Accra I realized if I wanted to continue to run I would have to find some running companions so I decided to give this group a try and I have never regretted it. The group meets once a week and never at the same location so it has been the best introduction to the streets of Accra and other runners.
Every year the Hash has a Red Dress Run to raise money for a local charity. All Hash members are to wear red dresses and then run through the city. Believe me we sure drew a lot of attention with about 35 of us participating. The two ladies in the picture above are the backbone of the Hash, I don't know their real names, I only know them as Tight --- and Dirty Dancer. The Gentleman with them is a long time member from Europe who is recovering from an injury but comes every week so his wife can run/walk.
This was Garrett's first Hash experience and he thought it was quite fun, although a little "wierd." Garrett did great and ran the entire route, I think he's hooked! He is standing next to Silas a fellow Hasher who joined the Hash the same day as I did.
This is our Song Master, Bad Boy!


These are a few of the Hash Wenches.

Yep, these are the Marines who protect our Embassy... hee hee!


They had the dresses tailor made and had their Hash names or slogans put on the back of the dresses. I think they enjoyed it a little too much. One spectator told them she would pray for them.



Comments

Kay & Bil said…
You and the family make our lives seem so mundane. Wonderful pictures!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

On to the story of Izzy