The biology and behavior of earthworms

I know, I know, the topic of this entry is hardly earth-shattering, nor is it necessarily Turner-related. But in my trot over to Neff Elementary yesterday in the rain, it was hard not to notice all of the worms wriggling on the sidewalk, attempting to not drown with all the water in the ground. Knowing the approaching cold front, I figured all of the worms were going to be caught up outside and frozen. Cut to today, GLPS has a snow day, the kids and I troop outside to shovel mushy slush off the sidewalk and to generally exercise. What are the contents of the slush, what is it that is in the shovel? Not-so-wriggly worms.

This is what happens to a guy that has a commute now for the first time in 12 or so years, and is alone with his NPR and his thoughts.

Comments

Kay & Bil said…
Lots of great stuff about worms!

Why is it, when the wet world is covered with worms, we don't see worm eating birds working the paved surfaces for easy pickings ?
I've watched for this and never seen it.

All those floundering worms going to waste.

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Rider?

Sophia's Surgical Narrative

On to the story of Izzy